These simple tests may help determine the source of your telephone service problem.These tests may also save you time and money!
Before you call see if any of the following describes the problem you are having:
Problem: No dial tone or static on the line
- Check all telephone cords - from jack to telephone base and from telephone base to the handset - make sure they are not loose or damaged.
- Hang up all telephones. Make sure phone accessories - answering or fax machines, computers, modems, security system, and telephone sets - are working. To check, unplug the phone cord from the unit or the jack and inspect for damage. Leave everything unplugged for 5 minutes. Then try plugging in phone sets one at a time to see if the trouble still exists.
- If all the phone accessories are working, go to your network interface box, (outside, where the phone line enters the house.)
- Test to determine if the problem is inside or outside the house:
a. Take a working phone to the network interface box (single line phone only).
b. Remove the modular plug from the test jack and insert the modular plug from your phone.
- If the same problem occurs: the problem may be in the phone line.
If the problem does not occur: the problem may be in your wiring. Either way, contact us for assistance.
- If the problem is in your telephone set: follow the instructions on your warranty or contact your equipment retailer for repair or replacement.
Problem: Unable to call long distance
- Try using a different phone
- You will need to contact your long distance company to determine the source of the problem.