Monday Morning Rewind

Posted 12/12/16 (Mon)

More bad weather and more cancellations had the sports week opening on Thursday at the VFW when Minot faced off against Bismarck Century. 


It took about ten minutes for both teams to settle in and get a feel for the pace the other wanted to bring.  Through seventeen minutes of play, most of which was confined to the neutral zone, only one goal was scored and it put the home team in the lead 1-0.  The Magicians came out buzzing in period two and quickly earned their first lead of the night with goals from Jake Viall and Kyler Stenberg.  Up 2-1 at the start of the third Minot found another quick goal that was answered by Century to frame the score at 3-2.  Colby Enns made it 4-2 and Jake Viall backhanded his the second of the night the length of the ice into the empty net to make it 5-2 and seemingly over.  With 2:38 left in regulation a quiet goal from Jake Yineman made it a two-goal game.  But the next Century score from Casey Foss just over thirty seconds later brought a little more noise.  Trailing 5-4 Kolton Kringstad hustled to the bench off the faceoff and Kirklan Irey hopped on the ice as the extra attacker.  With 25 seconds left Irey buried the equalizer to send the game to overtime.  Minot high had an excellent power play early in the extra frame that featured a handful of chances and a pair of puck off the post.  They got a second chance on the man advantage that, at the time, seemed like the deal sealer that would allow the visitors to pick up the W.  But the hockey gods wanted to see the comeback completed.  Short-handed, Century got a friendly hop that saw the puck squirt out of their defensive zone and on to the stick of Jake Yineman who wristed a quick shot passed Odin Nelson on a breakaway to complete the Century comeback. 

The MAC was packed Saturday night for a double header between UMary and Wayne State.  In the women’s game a defensively focused first half saw both teams struggle to put up points.  Wayne State wound up with a 23-20 lead at the midway point, despite going just 1-17 from beyond the arc.  That percentage would not hold.  The Wildcats found their stride in half number two, specifically the third quarter in which they matched their point total from the entire first half.  On the other side UMary could not get clicking.  They continued to force the ball inside and were shut down more often than not.  WSC ended up with a 63-47 win, dropping UMary to .500 on the season.