BEK Communications Cooperative Calls for Special District I Caucus Meeting
Posted 9/24/12 (Mon)
The BEK Communications Cooperative Board of Directors has called for a special District I Caucus meeting. The meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 7:45 p.m. at Century High School, 1000 Century Avenue, Bismarck, N.D., Entrance A (west side of the building).
The purpose of this cooperative business meeting is to take nominations from the floor and vote to select a nominee to fill the District I board of director vacancy left by the passing of 32 year veteran Director Richard Hausauer.
Registration will begin at 7:00 p.m. with the business meeting to follow at 7:45 p.m. The vote for a District I director is important, so BEK Communications urges the members from District I to attend this meeting. A light snack and refreshments will be served prior to the meeting.
District I consists of the Regan, Sterling, McKenzie, Wilton and Wing exchanges.
Seeking Director Candidates
Individuals interested in serving the cooperative as a Board of director member, should consider running to fill this vacancy.
- BEK relies on directors with sound business sense and vision. Their vision to shape the cooperative’s future five, ten and twenty years ahead is a road map for the general manager who is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the cooperative.
- The right person can help make the cooperative the best that it can be, and should give serious consideration to run for this director position.
Floor nominations will be accepted and voted on the night of the District I Caucus meeting. The
candidate with the highest number of member votes, who also meets nominee eligibility requirements, will be appointed by the BEK Communications Cooperative Board of Directors to complete the current District I vacant board member term, which ends in June of 2013. This new board member will be able to run for director again in June of 2013 as an incumbent director.
Following the District I Caucus Meeting, the BEK Communications Cooperative Board of Directors will meet to appoint the elected director.
BEK Communications Cooperative Board of Director Eligibility Requirements
- Nominee must be a cooperative member and have telephone service in their name.
- Nominee must reside in District I. District I consist of members receiving services in the exchanges of Regan (286), Sterling-Driscoll-Moffit (387), McKenzie-Menoken (673), Wilton (734) and Wing-Arena (943)
- Nominee must not be employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise.
- Nominee must not be employed by or financially interested in a business selling communication services or supplies, or constructing or maintaining communication facilities, other than a business operating on a cooperative nonprofit basis for the purpose of furthering rural telephony.
- Nominee must not be employed by or financially interested in a business in which BEK Communications Cooperative has an ownership interest.
- Nominee cannot have been employed in the previous two years by the cooperative.
BEK Communications Cooperative Board of Director Qualifications
- Nominee must recognize the need for cooperatives to serve rural America.
- Nominee must be willing to work to further the cooperative.
- Nominee must be willing to spend up to 20-30 days per year away from personal business to conduct cooperative business.
- Nominee must be willing to be responsible for directing the assets of the cooperative.
- Nominee must be a good communicator.
* Pursuant to Article IV, Section 3 of the BEK bylaws, additional eligibility qualifications must be met in order to serve on the BEK Communications Cooperative Board of Directors.